We're uncovering risks during our new product development, about our design. How do we manage risks? What options do we have?
There are at least 5 options we can take to manage risks. We talk about each, and how quality and reliability methods and techniques may help us with the next steps to be able to make decisions with our team.
Our 5 options:
- Prioritize risks and address the riskiest submodules/components first.
- Test subsystems/submodules/components and test them to failure.
- Try to avoid risks. Be mindful about risk avoidance during development.
- reuse proven submodules or components
- mistake-proof the user process
- reverse a decision
- Consider redundancy.
- redundant components in the design
- redundant development of another design option
- Risk/Reliability Apportionment: focus risk on one or two submodules/components instead of spreading it out among all the submodules/components
These other QDD podcast blogs get into more details about each of these concepts. Give them a listen to explore more. Comment on the blog if you have an idea or question.
1. Prioritize risks
3. Avoid risks
4. Consider redundancy
5. Risk/Reliability Apportionment